Mt. Erebus Lets Off a Little Steam

Friday, November 12, 2010

Southbound

Finally, on fifth day after arriving at Christchurch, I board the C-17 cargo for the five-hour trip to McMurdo Station.  We, the 8 passengers, were fortunate.  Because McMurdo is operating at peak capacity, there were only eight of us passengers (mostly scientists) going down.  But there were tons of cargo--including what I estimated to be around ten thousand pounds of mail.  Though there wasn't a lot of space to move around, there was plenty of freedom to do so. In my opinion, this is the only way to fly.















 
Crew Rest

Here are some of our first glimpses of the "Harsh Continent," taken from the porholes at the front and back of the cargo bay.








2 comments:

  1. Impressive photos and commentary! The chairs do look comfy! Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, talk about leg room! :) Nothing like I had today. (Flew to Kalispell.) At least the guy in front of me didn't put his seat back, but doesn't look like you had to worry about that. I read your blogs to Grandma today and she really enjoyed them! Tyler is learning about continents so I am going to show him your pictures tomorrow. Hope to "hear" more soon. Love you! Julie

    ReplyDelete